1. 2. Marc Faber's Doomsday warning on Bernanke's disastrous QE scheme
2. Global pharmaceutical spending will surpassthe trillion dollar threshold in 2014, with high prices for innovativehepatitis C and cancer drugs in the US, a new study says. By 2018spending is expected to increase by another 30 percent.
6. Taylor Swift has been named the most charitable celebrity of 2012.
1. By contrast, the strengthening of the Brazilian real helped the surge in coffee and sugar prices as the country is the largest producer of both.
2. It was the lesson of the UK general election and it's the big 'takeaway' from Cannes too: prediction is a mug's game. All week the chatter was that Todd Haynes' lesbian love story Carol was set to collect the Palme d'Or – or that Holocaust drama Son of Saul from first-time director László Nemes would triumph. In the last few days a consensus began to form around The Assassin from Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-Hsien; according to British bookmakers, The Lobster was the one to beat. But when Jacques Audiard's Dheepan was announced as the winner, the response was a collective “really?” For all the pundits, critics' panels, insider gossip, statistics and God knows what else, few had picked it. Oh well: c'est la vie.
3. Taobao, subsidiary of Alibaba, came in second place, with a brand value of $42.9 billion, overtaking China Mobile, Baidu and ICBC.
5. Please accept our wishes for you and yours for a happy New Year.
6. We have confidence that we will continue to open this country at a higher level, and maintain this country as a popular destination for investment. We welcome other partners to work with us to share in the development opportunities of China.
5. Take the intriguing reintroduction of “unfeigned regards” — last big in the 18th century and now found on emails from Indian help centres. But the winning sign-off, at the bottom of a message sent one Friday, was: “weekend well”. I nearly awarded it second prize for the best noun pretending to be a verb, though at the last minute this award was snatched by a consultant overheard saying: “Can we cold towel that?”
6.London's bike hire scheme couldn't be simpler, by the way: just go up to the terminal at any docking station, pay by card and take away one of our so-called "Boris bikes". When you're done with it, simply throw it into the nearest canal. They're disposable!
She emotes with some of Pink's husky attitude and some of Sia's theatrical so-over-it-ness, but she's a warmer singer than either, whether shrugging off a lover on the self-explanatory "IDGAF" or matching Miguel's intensity on the steamy "Lost in Your Light."
When scientists discover how to shrink humans to five inches tall as a solution to overpopulation, Paul (Matt Damon) and his wife Audrey (Kristen Wiig) decide to abandon their stressed lives in order to get small and move to a new downsized community, a choice that triggers life-changing adventures.
In response to the incident, Jiedaibao made an announcement on its Sina Weibo on Dec. 1, stressing that the use of nude pictures as collateral for loans constitutes a private deal between users, which the company cannot regulate.